With more dry, hot weather in the forecast this week, the City of Calgary is urging Calgarians to practice fire pit safety and follow the bylaws.
Fires in the City of Calgary must be:
- In a fire pit or non-combustible receptacle. If in a fire pit, it must be construted on bare ground or on brick/stone.
- Not within two metres of the property line, building, fence or under any trees or branches.
- Kept under one metre in both height and width.
- Fully supervised at all times
- Fully extinguished by 1 am, and there must be a means to extinguish the fire at all times.
- Treated/painted lumber
- Lumber products with glue
- Wet or unseasoned wood
- Leaves, brush or yard waste
- Rubber, tires or plastic
- Animal carcasses or parts
You can report bylaw infractions by calling 3-1-1, or if there is a fire ban in place and you see a fire, call 9-1-1. More information on the City of Calgary fire bylaws can be found online.