As 2015 is drawing to a close, we can all look back and reflect on what made headlines over the past year. Based on my own online networks, these stories had the most traction this past year on social media:
- Remember that show-stopping election? These were the top 5 ridings in Alberta.
- Marda Loop saw some great additions in both residential and commercial areas this year, here's a look.
- The federal government approved the completion of the $5-billion ring road in Calgary, a big story of southwest residents.
- Alberta Premier Rachel Notley says her government will allocate an additional $103 million to the province’s education budget, instead of the cutbacks proposed by the PCs.
- Remember this record $12.5 million listing in Calgary?
- This was a great article on the truth about Calgary's housing market in 2015, the sky is not falling.
- Did you ever hear about Calgary's great NeighbourWoods program? Getting more trees in our Calgary communities.
What we can really take from 2015 is that despite some downturn in the economy, a lot of sectors in Calgary saw growth, and housing didn't suffer as bad as people think. Some areas were more affected than others, but inventory is still moving in some areas. Mortgage rates are still low, and with an increased inventory, prices are lower than the year-over-year average. What does that mean? 2015 was a buyer's market, and continues to favour home buyers—it's a great time to buy.