This is the first installment of a new blog series I'm launching today on southwest Calgary communities. These blogs will give you a rundown of crucial information you should know about living in or moving to these communities, and where you should definitely check out in those communities.
Today, here's a look at West Springs in southwest Calgary:
Located in the southwest quadrant of the city, West Springs is bordered by Springbank to the west, and Cougar Ridge to the north; the western extension of the community is called Wentworth. Offering a variety of well-appointed homes, West Springs is only a 15-minute commute to downtown Calgary. The neighbourhood was established in 2001.
RESTAURANTS & CAFES
- Mercato West: this is the second location of this popular and upscale Italian restaurant on Stephen Avenue. Service and food are five-star. Located at: 875 - 85 Street SW.
- Vin Room: this is Calgary's premier wine and tapas bar, the second of two locations in Calgary. The food is rated at five stars. Located at: 8561-8A Ave SW.
- Waves Coffee: this coffee shop is great for work, meetings or just great coffee. The quality is great and the food is great too. Located at: 8561 - 8A Ave SW.
- Ironside Fitness: this recreation facility has several options from one-on-one training, group training, nutrition coaching and more. Located at: 8 Weston Drive SW.
- West Springs School: This public school is Silver LEEDS certified (Leadership in Engineering and Environmental Design), serving students kindergarten to grade six. It has an enrollment of 342. Located at: 8999 Wentworth Avenue SW
- VIncent Massey: This school serves students from grades seven to nine. It is situated on 7.7 acres, and has an enrollment of 646. Located at: 939 – 45 Street SW
- Ernest Manning: This school serves students from grades ten to twelve. It was relocated in 2011, and is now a LEED-certified building. It has an enrollment of 1,302. Located at: 20 Springborough Boulevard SW
- John W. Costello: This school serves students from kindergarten to grade six, in school code three. Located at: 300 Strathcona Drive SW
- St. Gregory: This school serves students from grade six to nine, in school code 48. It also offers choice programming for Hockey Canada Skills Academy for students grade six to nine. Located at: 5340 – 26 Avenue
- Bishop Carroll: This school serves students in grades 10 to 12. It offers advanced placement, self-directed learning, and sports performance programs. Located at: 4624 Richard Road SW
- 46 total listings
- Average listing price: $814,475
A list of current listings in West Springs can be found online here.