There are some upcomig information sessions that Ward 6 residents, and all Calgarians may be interested in, regarding the Area Structure Plan amendments for WinSport.
Last year, WinSport submitted an application to the City regarding amendments to the Area Structure Plan. WinSport is projecting the long-term needs of their organization and their space, in order to accommodate world-class facilities and athletes as well.
The existing Direct Control District Bylaw, 83Z97, will be replaced with a new Bylaw specific to the uses and activity as identified by WinSport. Subsequent Area Structure Plan text and map amendments are necessary to reflect the activities identified in the new Direct Control Bylaw. WinSport has continually operated, maintained and rejuvenated the Canada Olympic Park facilities since the 1988 Olympic Winter Games. New facilities and recreational opportunities have been added over the years to evolve with the needs and aspirations of Canadian athletes and Calgarians. [City of Calgary]
The Plan incorporates a number of measures aimed at protecting environmentally significant lands, which is a crucial thing for residents in the area. Some key points of note:
- Plan to minimize disturbance to the land or crossing of the ravines and waterways
- Plan to restore lands disturbed as a result of development, to their natural state
- Plan to provide for slope-adaptive and visually appealing development on the escarpment
There are two upcoming public information sessions:
- Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 5 to 8pm. Location: Bowness Scout & Lions Hall, 5881 Bowness Rd NW
- Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 5 to 8pm. Location: West Springs Free Methodist Church, 742 85 St. SW
Your feedback can also be submitted online if you're unable to attend either session, just check out this link.