Once the snow finally melts, many homeowners will be getting around to those home renovation projects they've been putting off. If you'll be working with a contractor, make sure you discuss these topics first.
• What hours will they be working, and what days of the week will they be working?
• Remind the contractor what days your recycling and garbage are picked up. Will they require extra disposal bins, and where will they go?
• Where will parking be permitted for them?
• Talk to them about access and security for your home.
• Get a complete contact list for everyone who will be working on site. Communication is important.
• Site and landscape protection: make sure you're aware of what measures will be in place to protect all aspects of your property during the project. This includes protection from outsiders as well as the weather.
• Inform of the location of all utility shut-offs.
• Ensure you discuss billing and insurance for the company.
• Schedule a regular meeting so you can be kept informed on the progress of the project.
Looking for more tips on working with a contractor? Check out this great article on Houzz.