A recent article on Brightnest outlined some of the most common home security mistakes that homeowners make. Burglary rate is high enough in Canada, without making things a little easier for thieves. Here's the top 7 home security mistakes they outline in the article.
1. Keep ladders locked away in garages or sheds. Having ladders 'hidden' outside is an easy outlet for burglars to get into your unlocked windows, etc.
2. Beware what's in your trash. Keeping your personal information (on bills, etc.) or having expensive items in the trash on the curb, gives burglars a lot of insight into your lifestyle.
3. Stop your mail from coming when you are away. A pile of newspapers and mail on your front step tells burglars you're not home.
4. Keep your landscaping up to par. Untouched bushes and dark spaces are great hiding spots for burglars.
5. Keep your alarm systems out of view from the outside. If a burglar can view your alarm system before they enter, they can tell if it's armed properly and prepare for what's in store.
6. Careful what you post on social media. Just be aware that anything you post online can be viewed by someone else; are you telling your potential thief how long you'll be away?
7. Dark houses attract burglars. Ensure you have some lights on or something that would give the impression people are home.