We're getting a dose of winter weather this week—snow and ice and freezing cold in the forecast. There's lots of ways to be kept informed on the City of Calgary's progress with snow removal, road closures and/or snow route parking bans:
- Check out the City of Calgary website
- Call 3-1-1 or download the City of Calgary app
- Follow @cityofcalgary, @yyctransport or check #yycroads on Twitter
- Check local media stations: TV, radio
“While we are out clearing snow, citizens can see our progress through a number of different ways. This helps them plan their commute and stay safe,” says Roads Maintenance Manager Bill Biensch. [City of Calgary]
In the meantime, the City has posted these tips on safe driving:
- Tune up and winterize your vehicle.
- Consider installing appropriate tires to the season.
- Clean snow and ice off your vehicle and ensure your lights and your windows are clear.
- Give yourself extra time to reach your destination.
- Reduce your speed and turn on your headlights.
- Drive defensively.
- Leave extra distance between you and the car ahead of you.
- When road conditions are difficult, consider using Calgary Transit.
- Consider delaying your trip until the roads are in better condition.
"When snow is predicted, a calcium chloride, anti-icing solution is applied to designated roadways around the city. This environmentally-friendly compound helps prevent ice and snow from accumulating on the road during a snowfall." [City of Calgary]
If you're interested in how much snow we're getting this week, check your local forecast. Be prepared and stay safe on the roads!