Last year, our city welcomed 70 new restaurants onto the scene! If you are a self-proclaimed foodie, Avenue Magazine has a guide to all the new spots.
This year, there was no shortage of new restaurants, cafes, bakeries and bars to check out in Calgary. At least 70 new eateries opened across the city in 2017, offering their takes on barbecue, poke, Italian cuisine, ice cream and much more. While most of these are brand new restaurants, several local favourites were also able to expand their reach by opening a second or third location this year. Either way, there's something delicious for everyone on this list. [Avenue Magazine]
For quick reference, here are some of my favourite southwest Calgary communities that welcomed new spots in 2017:
- 8 Cakes: this dessert place offers favourites from French and North American influence: macarons, cupcakes, cakes and much more. Find them at 109, 3411 20 Street SW.
- Boogie's Burgers: this long-time Calgary favourite has always been a staple in the city, but now they have a second location! Popular for classic diner fare like burgers, poutine and tater tots, find them at 2129 33 Avenue SW.
- Cacao 70: this restaurant has been a welcome addition to the community since November, offering a great brunch menu and lots of sweets for those who love chocolate. Find them at 136 30 Springborough Boulevard SW.
- Elbow Room: this restaurant opened up in the new Britannia Block building, offering a 5-star menu with features like bison short rib, crusted cod cheek and more. They also have a great brunch menu on weekends! Find them at 802 49 Avenue SW.
- Grumans Deli: this popular deli has been a hot-spot in downtown Calgary for over a decade, and they now opened their second location in Brittania. They are famous for their smoked meat sandwiches and poutine, but they offer an extensive menu. Find them at 5103 Elbow Drive SW.
- Neighbour: this grab-and-go cafe offers lunch fare and a coffee bar that serves up Nova Scotia's Anchored Coffee. You can find them at 4038 16 Street SW.