This upcoming Saturday, June 17th, is known as Neighbour Day in Calgary. If you're unfamiliar with YYC Neighbour Day, it's an annual initiative that was sparked from the community spirit surrounding the 2013 floods in our city.
Held on the third Saturday of June, Neighbour Day is a time for Calgarians to celebrate our neighbourliness and strong community spirit by organizing community events such as front yard barbecues, garden parties, picnics, clean-ups or afternoon teas in a local park. [City of Calgary]
If you're looking to take part in a Neighbour Day event this weekend, here's a list of event listings for southwest Calgary:
- Canyon Meadows: this event will feature a BBQ, bouncy house, door prizes, family activities, square dancing and more. June 17, 11am to 3pm, 844 Cantabrian Drive SW.
- Crestmont: this event will feature live music, food and drinks, family activities and games. This event is open to Crestmont residents only, RSVP online.
- Elbow Park: this event is open to Elbow Park residents only, and features a dinner, beer gardens, basketball, street hockey and more. June 17 at 3pm, East Elbow Park.
- Elboya Heights: this event is a half-kilometre family bike, followed by a BBQ, games and obstacle course. June 17th starting at 3pm, at Stanley Crescent and 4th Street SW.
- Killarney-Glengarry: this event is a BBQ lunch, June 17 from 11am to 1pm at 2828 - 28 Street SW.
- Kingsland: this event features games, activities and live entertainment. Happening on June 17 from 11am to 2pm at 505 - 78 Avenue SW.
- Meadowlark Park: this event features a BBQ, plant swap, games and family activities. June 17 from 4 to 7pm at 623 - 58 Avenue SW.
- Mission: this event features free entertainment and burgers. June 17 from 1 to 5pm at 2201 Cliff Street SW.
- Scarboro: this event is a Kentucky Derby style BBQ, $60 a person. Happening on June 17 at 1727 - 14 Avenue SW, RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spruce Cliff: this event features face painting, kid activiites, lawn bowling and entertainment. June 17 from 1 to 4pm at 3375 Spruce Drive SW.
- Sunalta: this event features bannock tacos and lots of family fun. Happening June 17 from 11am to 2pm at 1727 14 Avenue SW.
For more information on Neighbour Day and to see event listings for the rest of the city, check out the City of Calgary website here.