Historic Calgary Week runs July 28 until August 7, and is a celebration of all the places and people that are historically important for Calgary. In reading up on the event and celebration, the southwest quadrant of the city is the hub of most of the events.
Southwest Calgary has a lot of historic importance, and since all (but one) of the events are free for the public, it's a great time to learn about the history of our city. Here's some events to check out in the next few days.
- Lougheed House summer celebration: July 29 from 10am to 3pm at Lougheed House (707 - 13 Avenue SW). Free and family-friendly celebration taking place on the lawns of the Lougheed House.
- Mystery History 101: July 29 from 4 to 5:30 pm at Wildwood Community Association (4411 Spruce Drive SW). Held by the Edworthy Park Heritage Society, join for a talk about the mysteries of Edworthy Park.
- Tradtional Stone Masonry and Early Calgary Quarries: August 1 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm at Memorial Park Library (1221 - 2 Street SW). A look at the materials and architecture that defined our once "sandstone city".
- Women in Aviation: July 31 from 12 to 1 pm at Central United Church (131 - 7 Avenue SW). Learn about the amazing history of women in aviation in Calgary.
- McDougall Centre Story: August 1 from 1:30 to 3:30 pm at McDougall Centre (455 - 6 Street SW). Learn about the building's namesake, the history of uses and all about the art there.
- 100 years of public art in Calgary: August 2 from 12 to 1 pm at Central United Church (131 - 7 Avenue SW). A visual presentation of the City of Calgary's public art collection, spanning 100 years of public art in our city.
- Do you live on an airport? August 3 from 12 to 1 pm at Central United Church (131 - 7 Avenue SW). Calgary has a big aviation past and at one time was home to several airports around the city. Find out about our history with aviation and if your community lies on a former airport.
Historic Calgary Week events are running daily until Heritage Day, all hours of the day so check the full schedule online here, and plan accordingly.