An interesting blog post from the Calgary Herald archive, illustrates 12 reasons why Garrison Woods is a great community to raise kids. While I work in that area often, I can agree with these points. You can read the full article at the link above, but here's the 12 points at a glance:
1. Residents feel safe to walk alone
2. Plenty of parks and recreation opportunities
3. There is a community school within walking distance
4. Lots of recreation activities nearby: dance, hocke, gymnastics, etc.
5. There is a community-run preschool and play group
6. There is a strong community centre
7. Parents in the community seem engaged in the area
8. Lots of play dates occurring within blocks of where you live (friendly neighbours)
9. Lots of amenities: grocery, cafes, restaurants, etc.
10. Character in the community with buildings: museums, older homes, private schools, etc.
11. Multi-generational community
12. Lots of (safe) activity on the street