With homes and communities still in recovery mode following the floods, issues of mould in the home are coming to the forefront. After doing some digging on the Health Canada website, I thought I'd post some of the answers to common questions about mould.
What is mould?
Mould is any fungus that grows on damp materials; it can be black, white or nearly any colour. Mould needs moisture and a material to live and grow on. Mould releases spores into the air, which is what causes many problems.
How to recognize mould?
Common sources of moisture, which mould can grow on in the home are: condensation, water leaks and steam. Common places for mould to grow are: drywall, wood, paper products and damp materials.
What are the health risks of mould?
Some of the known health risks associated with mould are: irritation in nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, asthma, allergic reactions.
How do you get rid of mould?
First thing to do before you start a mould clean-up, is to take precaution; wear safety goggles, rubber gloves and proper breathing masks. For in-depth information on mould-cleanup, check the Health Canada website.