What a chaotic weekend we had here in Calgary, nothing like we've ever seen before. Firstly, my thoughts are with anyone who was displaced or dealing with other troubles due to the flooding in our city. On a good note, it sounds like a large number of people are now allowed back into their homes.
The City has released specific instructions for those re-entering their homes, in order to protect the safety of everyone.
• If flooding has occurred above any electrical outlet in your basement, leave your home immediately. Call Enmax at 403-514-6100 before addressing the damage.
• Call 911 to report gas odours, leaking or exposed gas lines (leave immediately if they are present).
• For non-emergency calls, call Atco Gas 403-310-5678.
Basement Seepage/Sewer Issues
• If water is in the basement which has seeped through foundation, call your insurance company for direction,
• If your sewer is backed up, call 311.
• Get rid of refrigerated or frozen foods which have gone bad.
• Only foods sealed in metal cans are safe (floodwaters contain disease germs).
• Any of the following that have been in contact with flood waters must be disposed: foods in fridge/freezer, meats, produce, boxed foods, products in jars, cosmetics and toilet items.
• Medications which are required to be refrigerated are no longer safe.
Information on social services is available by calling 211. Citizens can also contact the Calgary Distress Centre 24-hour crisis line at 403-266-HELP (4357) or visit www.distresscentre.com. (source: City of Calgary)