As 2016 is drawing to a close, we can all look back and reflect on what made headlines over the past year. Based on my own online networks, these stories had the most traction this past year on social media:
- A new development on Paskapoo Slopes in Calgary was announced to be named Medicine Hill.
The original Blackfoot name for the area is actually Aiss ka pooma, a name the commission recommended be adopted for the new community being built on the land that was once sacred ceremonial ground. Instead, the English translation of the name, Medicine Hill, was adopted for the community during a tense council vote. [CBC]
- Calgary Economic Development reported all the many reasons people are still choosing to come to Calgary.
- CBC released this guide on Calgary's lesser known artand where you can find it around the city.
You know where to find Wonderland, the Famous Five and Chinook Arc — but here are nine finds for even the most seasoned public arts aficionados, and a future project that you can be a part of. [CBC]
- Great news came in February, when it was reported that Calgary's resale real estate market showed some healthy signs.
- An increasing number of people in cities are eagerly supporting new construction, saying: "yes, in my backyard" (YIMBY).
[YIMBY] groups are sounding the alarms that their cities are becoming increasingly exclusive and that the soul of their community—the grit, the weirdness, the vibrancy, the characters, the youthful innovation and creativity, the elders—is at jeopardy if local governments don't increase housing supplies and affordable housing options. [Fast Co Exist]
- Avenue Calgary's Best Neighbourhoods list for 2016 ranked many southwest communities high.
- My guide on what to do and where to go in Discovery Ridge in Calgary was one of the most popular stories this year as well, a lot of fans of that community out there!
- City of Calgary publishes answers to Southwest BRT questions.
- Another story in the "Best Neighbourhoods 2016" saga, as this story profiles Signal Hill, which was ranked number six overall this year.
And from my family to yours, Happy New Year and all the best in 2017!